Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Then what IS snooping?

If you haven't visited Postcards From Yo Momma yet, do it now. I guarantee you will recognize your mom in one of these crazies. Although some moms are clearly crazier than others. For example:

"Well, I went ahead and found your W2 online and filed your taxes. It doesn’t count as snooping, since you weren’t calling me back and I couldn’t wait any longer. You will get a refund. Maybe next year you can do this yourself.
Love, Mamu"

Ok, I'm probably lazier than the next girl, and would happily hand over my W2s to my parents to take care of (although they'd laugh me out of the room if I were to try it). However. I would seriously kill the same parents were they to "find" my W2 (be it online or elsewhere) and do my taxes for me. Irregardless of whether I return a call, I do not expect/anticipate/accept my parents just doing my taxes for me. But then again, at what age is that considered inappropriate? My parents also don't pay for my rent/car/bills/insurance, and I have a few friends (my age) who can't say the same. Does that mean that Mom is filing taxes too? Not that I'm judging (well maybe a little). But, is this a case of parents doing to much for their kids, or going overboard with the ridiculous amounts of snooping, or both? Because while I can picture a certain friend actually expecting her parents to file her taxes, I'm pretty sure she'd flip out if they just "found" her W2. Isn't that like a diary, or credit card bills, or medical charts, which are not meant for the general public?

Then again, this anonymous poster got a refund, and I can't say the same. Maybe if my parents had found my tax info online, they would have found me money too.

No comments: