Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pleasantville

Or, as I like to call it, Irvine. If you haven't been, you've probably at least heard of it. Irvine is a planned city, where homeowners' associations rule all (here's a link to a typical neighborhood). With one notable exception: the "village" of Northwood. Before I get to that, here's a little Irvine information. Irvine was incorporated in 1971, and was basically completely developed by The Irvine Company. Population as of the 2007 is 202,000, with the following racial makeup: 61% white, 1.45% black, .18% Native American, 29.8% Asian, 7.3% Hispanic/Latino. In 2006, the median gross rent paid for housing was $1,660 a month, which was the highest of any place in the United States of more than 100,000 people. The median income for a household is $84,270. All the high schools consistently rate on Newsweek's list of Top High Schools (top 4% in the nation). Finally, Irvine has been named at least three times (2005-2007) as The Safest City in the United States.

I've lived on and off in Irvine since 1995, and the running joke is that it's a "bubble" where everything looks the same, is overplanned, with no nightlife, but lots of police officers and no crime. Also, the homeowner's associations have a very firm grip. As in, my parents get letters if a plant dies in the front yard, they were required to paint the basketball hoop over the garage the same color as the house, and got a call when they only replaced one door knob of the double French doors (the second was on back order).

Knowing all this, I was surprised when my roommate and my sister went for a bikeride and came back to tell me about this crazy house they spotted (in the non-HOA village of Northwood).
It's like a mini castle. And it might be abandoned (black windows, half of which are boarded up), and I guess there was some scary child molester van parked out back. Also, I hear there are torches. Why? Makes no sense. Even three story houses don't makes sense in this neighborhood. And now, from the cul-de-sac behind the house:Finally, the crazy lot of this house:
Point is, Irvine is KNOWN for not allowing this kind of craziness to exist. Clearly I find this interesting, and I'm sure you do not. I will resume normal cheesy blogging shortly.

No comments: